"Everyone" vs. "Members"

Does anyone else think it’s super confusing that when you’re creating an event and you want to invite “everyone,” you click on “everyone,” but when you want to send an email to “everyone,” you click on “members”? Whenever I go to send an email, I’m always looking for the “everyone” checkbox, which doesn’t exist. I definitely understand what TT means by “members,” but it would be helpful if those terms were consistent throughout the site. Do other users agree? I’d love your opinion on this!

6 Likes

Yes! I agree. If the term was consistent it would be easier to find.

2 Likes

Agreed. Terms need to be consistent if they mean the same thing. If clicking everyone & members brings up the same people, then yes, they should be the same term.

2 Likes

Consistent terminology throughout would be very helpful. I’m always doubting myself if it’s being done correctly because of this.

2 Likes

Makes sense to me! I’m still learning, but agree on consistency. I like the concept of everyone and members being different and consistent terminology.

1 Like

YES!! Please make this consistent! And is there really a difference between Leaders/Adults?!

1 Like

This is actually a fantastic point! Because when I was new, the term “members” confused me because it means “TroopTrack members,” not members of the organization. There are lots of people in my troop’s TT who are not members of our organization. For example, parents who don’t register as members. So they’re not members of AHG (or BSA or GSUSA or whatever) but they are members of TT. Using “everyone” instead of “members” makes that more clear. Side note, when I send a note to “leaders,” TT automatically includes all adult members, not just those in a leadership role. It can be so confusing and I’m never sure exactly who I’m sending to until after I send it!

I have found that to send an email to ONLY leaders, I have to make a custom list. If I send an email to “leaders” it goes to all registered adult members of AHG currently in TroopTrack, whether or not they hold a leadership role. I can see how this would be complicated to do automatically because some troops have different definitions of who they include on their leadership team. For the most part, I figure if they’re invested enough to be a member, I’ll include them on all my communications to our leadership team.

This is a great idea. I suggest changing the Category from Ask a Question to Ideas.
Just to set expectations it could be months or more to implement. The TT staff has limited development resources and they have been busy fixing bugs and core functionality and while this is a definite “Nice to have” its not going to be a big priority when there are things that don’t work.
Thank you all though for your participation in the Community, it really helps the TT staff to know what users want and how to prioritize their time.

3 Likes

Thanks so much! This is my first time using the community so I was completely clueless as to how to categorize it. I moved it to ideas. I appreciate the helpful info!

I NEVER know who to send emails to… If I want “Everyone” I will always click: members, scouts, parents, leaders, adults. Just to make sure I am not missing anyone. SO confusing…

2 Likes

@SarahRose,
You can be confident from here on out in using members in order to send an e-mail to everyone that has an e-mail address associated with their TT account. If you really want to be 100% sure check out Communicate, Magic Mailing Lists, members@… Details, that will list everyone who will get the message.

1 Like

Agree. When I send an email I click everything because I’m not sure if I’m clicking the right boxes. I hope it doesn’t send multiple times too. Matching the label to events makes perfect sense!!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

The magic mailing list that has the name “members” is an auto-generated mailing list that updates automatically when a new user is added. Sending to this list sends to every active account in the Troop.

If you wanted to send an email to everyone, and the magic mailing list with the name “members” is confusing, then you can click “communicate”, “magic mailing lists”, which will take you to all your lists. Then click on “actions” (by the mailing list titled “members”). From there you can edit the name of the mailing list to “everyone”. Then when inviting people to events, or sending an email, you’d see the word “everyone” in both places.

below is a screenshot of if I just left it as “members”:

and when I edited the name of the magic mailing list (only the name and who can send to this list can be changed since it’s an automatically generated list):

I see that some people are confused by the term “everyone”, but all this means is all the active members in your Troop that are on TroopTrack.

I definitely want to make sure I’m understanding this idea correctly, and I hope this solution makes sense.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

1 Like

Hi @CelesteMcLaughlin1,

I was able to pull up your account, and I saw that your magic mailing list of “leaders” only has 19 recipients. This is a magic mailing list that sends to anyone who has an active leadership position under their leadership tab in TroopTrack.

This list is automatically updated, so when someone has a leadership position removed/added the list adjusts accordingly.

I took a look at some of the people on that list, and they all had a leadership positon of some kind under their “leadership” tab on their profile. I saw one or two who were only classified as “adult members”, but that is still registering as a leadership position within TroopTrack. If you wanted to take them off the list, then you’d need to remove a leadership position and that list would automatically adjust accordingly.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

Thanks for looking at it. Makes sense. Adult members are not considered “leaders” in our troop, but it’s important for me to know who my registered adults are, so I wouldn’t be able to remove that position. But I could create a custom mailing list. Thanks!

I had no idea that could be edited. Thanks for sharing.

What about making it so the scouts magic mailing list only sent it to the scouts rather than all the youth members. At the moment we are using TT for Venturers and Scouts, and there doesn’t seem to be anyway to just send an email to the scout section youth. We have to select all of the individual patrols to send it to the scout troop. To send it to the venturers, we have had to put them into a patrol so we can send to them. How do we send to individual sections?

Hi Garnet,

The only way to sent to all the scouts, in that case, would be selecting the patrols of the scouts, and by having a patrol of venturers you can send to them.

This is because scouts and venturers are still youth so the magic mailing list of “scouts” will still apply to venturers as well.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

Wouldn’t it make far more sense to be able to send to the youth section without having to select all the Patrols? If you have a Group with all five sections (Joeys, Cubs, Scouts, Venturers and Rovers) you should be able to email one of the sections by selecting scouts@… or cubs@… or joeys@… etc? We never really noticed this until we started using Trooptrack for multiple sections. Now when our Scouts send emails, they select the Scout email list thinking that it will go to the Scouts (which makes perfect sense) and it goes to the Venturers too. Any chance this can be changed?

Garnet