Emailing to a TroopTrack from an External Email Address

I’ve added this to our to-do list. It is issue #1467.

6 Likes

I had this same issue with non-member email accounts. We would like to have a contact feature for those that wanted info about our troop. I was told to enter this discussion.

I understand the issue about how difficult it can be to have a non-registered email in the TT system.

What about having one external email per client based on their domain. It would be like troop170@trooptrack.com.

Another option for us would be to have a contact page that the outside user can fill out for us to reply to. Like your contact page. They fill it out on our site, and it gets routed to a distribution list.

I have searched for other related threads, but have not found any yet.

2 Likes

The biggest problem with this idea in our current setup is that we allow troops to have distribution lists with the same name. This only works because we identify who the user is by the email they send from. In order to create a public email address we would need to make sure it is unique system wide. That’s not really that big a deal, now that I type it out… this happens sometimes. Things seem hard until I try to explain them to someone else.

This idea is totally growing on me. @Spencer, what do you think? Want to work on it next week?

Well like I originally suggested, give us an open email based on our account name@trooptrack.com. Ooh how about using periods so General.Troop170@trooptrack.com. just a thought.

We already make sure that subdomains are unique. Could we just use subdomain@trooptrack.com to create valid emails?
The reason I thought we didn’t do this was spam, which we wouldn’t be able to protect against very well. Troops would be vulnerable to getting phony emails from Nigerian princes and whatnot.
Other than the spam problem, it sounds like a neat idea. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I think that I am having the same problem. We set up a mailbox called TreasurerXXXX@trooptrack.com to use with paypal so that all paypal emails would go to our treasurer and committee chair. None of the emails from paypal seem to come through. Is it impossible for paypal emails to be sent to this address?

Hi @TMSlaton. No, mailboxes can’t receive emails from Paypal, only from other members of TroopTrack.

How about adding an option to mailboxes to allow email from external sources? You could put a warning about spam, but this would allow users to have some flexibility on how to handle new member prospects, PayPal/Stripe notifications, etc. It’s kind of similar to the “Any member is allowed to send emails to this list” setting on magic mailing lists.

Thanks.

I would want a group to keep a contact information to be more generic and evergreen. So as people who change roles - the email notifications would be the same.

For example - we would register our contact information at Council to be: Scoutmaster@TroopDomain.trooptrack.email."

Or put on our website for membership information requests to “Membership@TroopDomain.Trooptrack.email”

etc…

This feature use to work. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to receive emails from people who aren’t members of the Troop?

3 Likes

This “mailbox” feature seemed like a winner until I found out I couldn’t send to one from outside of TroopTrack.

I don’t know the status of issue 1467, but I’d like to echo the powerful need for this feature - just moved my cub scout pack over, and this is the absolute wrong time to figure out that this is not working as expected.

Thank you for whatever you can do to provide status or move this feature request up in the list.

Would it be possible to send from an external address to "mailbox@subdomain.trooptrack.com" ?

Mike

4 Likes

Yes this is probably my most anticipated item on communication.

If the mailboxes could receive email from any external address - it would help with how we would recruit. The local elementary schools send out email blasts and facebook updates about our “Join Boy Scouts - contact info = mailbox@subdomain.trooptrack.com

Now it goes to a secondary personal email address on gmail. Would love to have it be “annoymous” Scoutmaster@subdomain.trooptrack.com

2 Likes

Big, HUGE want!

It has my vote to be sure.

We are just going into recruiting season.

4 Likes

This would be a great addition.
The cub scout pack that my boys were in used a competing web site. Each subdomain had a small set of mailboxes that could be changed to forward to appropriate person/group. e.g. scoutmaster@mytroopsubdomain.competingservice.us or webmaster@mytrooopsubdomain.competingservice.us

This really aided in recruiting and when positions changed. Mailing the cubmaster was always the same address even when a new cubmaster took over.

Please bump this up on your priority list – as a previous poster mentioned, recruiting season is upon us.

Thanks

3 Likes

Everyone interested in moving this up in the priority list should be “liking” the relevant post in the Ideas forum.

Mike

8 Likes

Definitely want this feature. We moved to this platform from another web hosting company and need a way to allow the public to send us a message about interest in our pack. I just tried to set up the mailbox to do that and was disappointed when I got the bounce message upon testing from an external account.

What’s the status on this?

4 Likes

We definitely need this. At this point I need to go out to a separate email tool (gmail) and set up an account to receive requests from external people who are interested in our Troop. This is a big gap for us.

3 Likes

We, too, would love to have the feature of creating an email address through Troop Track that external users could send messages to. Our current need relates to inviting other area AHG troops to an event that girls in our troop are organizing and having an email they can send RSVPs and questions to. Thank you for considering this option!

1 Like

how do I vote for this? a webmaster or info email alias is a must!!

1 Like

You kinda did by commenting that you support this feature. You can also add your Like to the original post as well as any of the other ideas that came out of the discussion.

1 Like

This is an old thread but in case anyone else finds it, this is possible now with the Inbox Beta feature. Check it out.

1 Like