FIXED: Transaction description is just an order number

We’ve gotten lots of complaints that the transaction we post to your default money account when someone checks out has a description that is just an order number. Previously the description would have been the item purchased, but since a user could put any number of RSVPs and event items (for multiple events) in the cart and then check out, it didn’t make sense to list them all in the description.

Instead we created an “order” and put the order number in the description. This has caused a lot of confusion and many people didn’t realize they can view all orders by going to Manage -> Money -> Orders.

So to make this easier we made the order # in the description field a link to the order page.

I hope that makes this transition easier for everyone.

Dave

Is there any way to download the orders for a period of time? Searching order by order manually to reconcile PayPal transactions to TT is not an acceptable alternative. Thanks.

1 Like

This is a great idea @RyanMcMahon1. I’ve started a new topic for this idea so it doesn’t get lost.

I am sorry but you really need to fix the shopping cart. I need to know that the event that people are paying for is not an order # and I have sent multiple test orders through the system and I cannot get the data I need. The month since your upgrade has been chaos. Prior to the upgrade I could reconcile PayPal and Troop Track events in 15 minutes or less. Now it takes me hours as I have to search order by order and I cannot reconcile them completely. Additionally, we have had multiple transaction errors when the payment is processed and goes through but the item stays in the shopping cart as unpaid. I am going to have to start directing people to not make payments though the TT site if you don’t fix this quick.

Hi @RyanMcMahon1. I’m sorry this has been frustrating for you. Have you seen the “All Payments” screen on the event details? It is a pretty easy view of everyone who has paid for an event.

Also, we are working on an “order book” like our other “books” that you can use to see all the items that have been purchased from the shopping cart.

Hi Dave. The problem is there is no easy way to reconcile Troop Track CSV data to Pay Pal as I have found no common factor between the two allowing reconciliation without manually going into Troop Track. I just went in and downloaded an “All Payments” report from the event details but once again the PayPal Order # is not here. Why can’t you have at least one common data field between the two systems? My preference would be for this to be the event or events paid for (e.g. Cougar Canyon Backpack) but at least if there was a common transaction or order number there would be an easier way to reconcile the two systems. Thanks.

Hi @RyanMcMahon1. We recently changed the Orders page to work more like a “book”. You can select an event to filter by and see all purchases made related to that event. Check it out and let us know. Manage -> Money -> Orders.

Dave

@dave

Really appreciate the changes and it will make it a bit easier to reconcile. Still challenging and Troop Track gives the order number in this format (758780-6774-24b50abb) and PayPal shows (Order #758780-6774-24b50abb) so there is no way to use a formula to reconcile the two files without manual manipulation.

1 Like

Can you tell me more about how you would use the formula you mentioned?

@dave

I would use a Vlookup or a pivot table to match the transactions. Since they not the same it won’t work and I would have to manually manipulate PayPal data file. With information the old shopping cart put into PayPal this was a snap.

1 Like