Auto Log Out

Hi TroopTrack Community,

We’ve recently implemented an auto logout of TroopTrack.

What this does is after 60 minutes of inactivity the user will automatically be signed out of TroopTrack.

Why?
We implemented this to make TroopTrack more secure for users. There is a lot of personal information that’s on TroopTrack and TroopTrack is dedicated to keeping your information safe.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

I understand the goal, but is there anyway that can be made a user setting? If I’m working on my own PC, or phone, which is secure I’d rather not have to log in several times over the course of an evening. It would be nice if I could set that for a couple of hours or so. Or in the case of the phone app, I might want to update info multiple times during the course of an event (perhaps a campout where every couple of hours some requirements get completed and I’d like to easily update).
Thx
Scott

4 Likes

Is there a way to turn off this feature? I’m in and out of mine all the time, several times a day. And only on my own computer.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

I understand your concerns with this feature, however; we live in an ever growing digital age which means privacy and data security are also ever more important as well.

Let’s say you turn on a user setting to not auto log out for your account, then for whatever reason your computer isn’t working that day so you go to a public library to access TroopTrack (you only have a few things to do anyways). While there you submit some achievements, and then (out of habit) simply click the “x” on the window rather than log out of the computer. The next user can easily come along, go to your search history, go to TroopTrack, and have access to not just your information as a leader but your Troops information as well.

That can be a big problem and I realize that one specific instance doesn’t apply to everyone, but there’s a variety of safety reasons to have an auto log out feature, such as data privacy laws, basic data protection rules, etc. Troops on TroopTrack have a variety of personal information on them and the best way to keep that information safe is to have a machine there as backup in case you forget to log out.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

I agree about safety concerns, especially as some of our users have access to a lot of personal information, so I do think this is an important change.

Thanks for working on fixing the bug about logging out while you are in the middle of typing an email message. Can you confirm that it won’t happen if you are updating an announcement or intranet page, too? Just in case. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, this just happened to me. I spent a long time typing up an email and hit send and I got logged out and lost my email! Very very very very annoying!

1 Like

@AaronStorey Suggested this on the other post.

Is this a compromise that TT is looking at? I know I can’t be the only one with a troop of 75+ kids and adding stuff, sending emails, updating girl records, etc. I can take a day to work in TT and have to walk away while in the middle of something then come back to realize all my changes have been deleted b/c I was auto-logged out when I got side tracked by helping my own kids. We’ve even had TT log out while in the middle of setting up an event on the calendar which seems crazy b/c you are in the middle of checking boxes, adding files, selecting dates, etc.

1 Like

That sounds like my workflow, too. Start something, get interrupted in a random place, come back to it sometimes hours later…

Ugh! I’ve lost a handful of emails since this feature was implemented. This is SO frustrating. If I am working on the site, I should not be logged out. Further, 30 minutes is not enough time. The timeout should be at least an hour of inactivity, with the admin given the ability to turn this off.

1 Like

I have had 2 scouts complain to me that they we “unable” to send email, and I am pretty sure this is the cause. This prompts a couple of questions:

1. How do we work around getting logged out while writing and email and not losing the work?
  2. How do I and other key people get automatically notified up updates like this?

Thanks,
Alon

1 Like
  1. TT is working too see if they can come up with a solution to the Auto-Logout while working on an e-mail, or potential changes to how it works. In the meantime you can compose the e-mail in another program say Word and then copy and paste into TT.
  2. Whenever they are updates you will get a notification when you next log into TT. Shows up on the Bell icon next to Power Search. I think it also does a pop up if you have Notifications enabled.

Thanks Aaron,

I didn’t get any notification of the update that enabled the timeout though. Did it qualify as an update that would trigger the notification? Or do I need to change a setting perhaps?

Thanks,

Alon

There was a big notification of a bunch of things and the timeout was on there it was within the last couple weeks I think.

I just logged in with my test account and the Notification popped up. There wasn’t really any specific information just secure auto-logout.

Product Update: Jan 2021 Update

Happy New Year! This past year of 2020 has had its ups and downs but TroopTrack is excited for 2021. We hope that everyone is staying safe while also pushing forward the work of Scouting! Continue to follow the basic guidelines set by your local council and continue to stay safe and strong.

The latest release of TroopTrack includes new features and lots of fixes to enhance your troop’s experience for this upcoming year of 2021! For example, we have recently implemented a secure auto-logout to TroopTrack. This auto-logout feature is a standard security measure for any online service and is a deterrent against unauthorized use of your accounts. TroopTrack stores private information that is required to be safely guarded by various state and national laws. Please contact support@trooptrack.com if you have any questions concerning the new auto log off feature.

Here are some additional new TroopTrack features and other enhancements we have made over the past few months:

New Features

1. NEW secure auto-logout
  2. NEW marking reconciled on multiple transactions at once
  3. NEW promoting users to the unassigned category
  4. NEW participation book scrolling horizontally
  5. NEW saving an email as a draft
  6. NEW deleting old emails/messages
  7. NEW tiled photo albums
  8. NEW texts to youth go to parents
  9. NEW copying and pasting dates
  10. NEW unit leaders access unit reports
  11. NEW money refunded directly to scout account
  12. NEW sort columns on eagle progress report

Improvements/Bug Fixes

1. Print advancement report fixes
  2. Various theme fixes
  3. Dropdown menu for locations and typing
  4. Progress report fixes for various organizations
  5. Scout account bug fixes
  6. Registered member fixes/ viewing
  7. Added new cell phone carriers
  8. Attendance sheet bugs and fixes
  9. Adjusted the Scoutbook importer to account for changes in Scoutbook
  10. Adjusted the shopping list to print off how it looks in TroopTrack
  11. Fixed an issue with downloading scoutbook reports from TroopTrack
  12. Copying an event bug fixed
  13. Fixed formatting of the achievement report for some organizations
  14. Fixes with the hiding and unhiding a note feature
  15. Fixes for level awards with AHG
  16. Fixed formatting for individual progress reports
  17. Fixed an issue with links when on the Troop’s web page.
  18. Fixed the csv headers on incomplete achievements book.

Contact Us

If you have any questions about new features or product updates, don’t hesitate to reach out to support@trooptrack.com. If you have any ideas about features you’d like to see added next, make sure you post them to https://community.trooptrack.com/c/new-ideas or if you have any other site feedback, please post to https://community.trooptrack.com/c/site-feedback.

Thanks,

The TroopTrack Team

Aaron,

Thanks, I see it now. I will have to watch that little bell more closely for alerts like this.

• Alon

I can see that it would be easy to miss while reading 30 updates. :slight_smile:

I actually did read through the notification when it popped up, but failed to realize the significance in that moment…

Hi @Keener-Trooptrack !

Until this has been resolved, will you consider temporarily increasing the inactive time to 1 hour?

Thanks!

Hi @mwestcott,

The update of 1 hour of inactivity will come out with the fix of TroopTrack reading when you’re typing.

The auto log out is a more complex feature, I don’t really understand it myself, so any little changes will have big effects. Once our tech team figures out how to make it so TroopTrack reads when you’re getting logged off, then they’ll add in the 1 hour time limit and test it out to make sure everything is working. After that they’ll release it.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

1 Like