Eagle scout Rank - Required Merit Badge update

Citizenship in Society needs to be added to the Eagle Rank Requirements list of Required Merit Badges and the total required merit badges should be increased to 14 from 13. Any estimate on when that might be updated?

1 Like

Cit in Society is in the system, and it’s listed as Eagle required. I just did some updates to our MBCs and saw it as such. It also shows up properly in a Scout’s achievements when entered. The devs just haven’t fixed that number at the top of the Achievements tab for the Scouts.

Thanks. But when looking at the individual Scouts’ Ranks, “Eagle (2016)” is what shows and requirement 3 does not list Cit in Society as one of the required.

1 Like

@dave and @Tyler,

BSA has updated the requirements for the Eagle Rank slightly. Here is a link to the file containing the changes and the source page. I you could update this that would be great. Also updating the Merit Badge tracker on the profile advancements page would be great as well. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks @AaronStorey !

So still no update to TT? How do we get new Eagle requirements to show? (Not the 2016 ones)

1 Like

This has to be manually updated by Dave, he has hired a support person and is in the process of training him. Hopefully this will allow for things like this to happen quicker.

This is very frustrating. No changes as of today. It makes it very hard to keep records using the old requirements. We are thinking of parting ways with TroopTrack because of this. I don’t know why we are spending money on something that isn’t current.

@wportner, I am curious how you utilize the individual requirements that makes this a make or break issue? Do you have people that are entering each individual requirement for a rank? I can never seem to get leaders or individuals to enter this information into TT to keep track. Typically it is just an entry into TT for the date of completion of the whole Rank once they are done with all of the requirements. We track the individual requirements in the Scouts book. If you are entering all requirements how many people do you have doing the data entry and how many scouts do you have? I tried to get to that point but just couldn’t get traction so ended up giving up and just enter completions.

Our two troops have our Scouts enter their completed achievements in TT, already logged and signed off in their handbooks, which are then approved in TT by the adult leader mentoring that patrol. This puts the responsibility on the Scout, training them to be responsible and prompts them to advocate for themselves. They are then fully aware of where they stand.

This is why we need the requirements to be current, so our Scouts can stay current. – David

@DavidThompson3, That is great, I really wanted that to work in my unit, it has been hard to get Scouts to actually log in, seems like we have way to many helicopter parents, we keep pushing them to have their scout do things but they just won’t listen.

What would you think about just the requirement numbers with no text so as long as the numbers match they can check it off and get approved but as BSA keeps making minor changes to wording it doesn’t have to constantly be updated? From what I gather from Dave it is a bit of a pain to update and it seems like recently BSA keeps making minor changes way more often than they used to.

@AaronStorey: I have to think about that one. I run advancement reports to distribute and only have the number and sub-letter displayed. The Scouts use their handbooks during meetings. I can see the thought though. It kind of makes sense, and wouldn’t be much of an inconvenience for us.

We are fortunate in that we don’t have much of an issue with parents. Ours are pretty supportive of letting the Scouts do it themselves. We start immediately with a parent meeting the first week or two after crossover to let the parents know how things should work. For those that want to be involved, we find something for them to do. I guess because it has been ingrained for so long for the troops to be Scout-led that people learn quickly when they visit as Webelos that we let the Scouts do it.

From what I read on Facebook and here, we are pretty fortunate to have good parents. We are fortunate to have a lot of good, trained leaders too.

David Thompson