Getting Previously Created Calendar Events to New Members

I just found this topic while searching for a solution to inviting new families without reinviting the whole troop. I hope they make it so an event planner can just send an email to an individuals or groups other than going, not going, haven’t rsvped. I’ll keep “not adding invitees when creating an event” in mind for future reference though.

Liz

1 Like

Yep, we’ve run into this issue. I have to manually go through and edit the invitee list for an event every time we want new members to be included in the attendance roll or email notifications. Especially in our case (being an LDS troop), our Scouts are crossing over into the next group/patrol when they have a birthday, not according to school year or grade (like most Troops do, all boys moving up and staying together through Scouting).

From a data validation standpoint, the additional steps needed to make TT recognize any changes in user groups between initial creation of an event and when reminders are sent/the event occurs is pretty daunting so I know Matt isn’t kidding about that part.

For adding individuals to future events automatically, the only thing I could think of would be to automatically add them to all future events based on their user account type (adult leader, parent/other adult, youth). But then you would get them added to a bunch of events that may not pertain to them, creating just as much confusion for the person. Adding users by groups/patrols/etc really would be the most effective option to getting the intended result, I think.

Either way, definitely a desired feature for all four of our units that use TroopTrack. +1!

1 Like

We plan our calendar in August so we have the same problem. Each event has to be manually updated.

1 Like

I tend to do invites by group. So for instance there will be a field trip and only leaders and scouts are invited to (just for an example) and I would click on the leaders group and the scouts group and no individual names. I have found that when I’ve added a new scout, she shows up on the invite list because she is in the “Scout” group. I hope that makes sense. That has been the easiest way for me to make sure new people are added. I did test this out and it seemed to work.

1 Like

Yes, yes!!! When the list is “everyone” it would be great to not have to go back in and edit the event to add new people.

1 Like

A few things need to happen before we can add this. It’s called the Membership Resolver. First it will be added to the new emails feature and then it will be added to events. Keep an eye out for Dave’s updates on it!

2 Likes

Hi @mlsully2002,

Any update on when this will be rolled out?

Thanks!

Scott

Hopefully the wait is not too much longer. Dave posted a pic of the new emails system recently and he’s got a few more things he wants to do before he releases that. The membership resolver will come either with or right after that.

1 Like

Has there been any announcements I’ve missed on this?

Thanks

Yes and no. The membership resolver we are building will be released as part of the new email system and then we can apply it to events.

1 Like

@mlsully2002 - For fear of sounding like a broken record, is there any time estimate to expect this to be resolved? Our pack just started using TroopTrack, and like others, I built the calendar first, then added scouts and families, so it’s a lot of clicking to make everything show up properly. I get around this by setting the calendar default to All Items, but this is not optimal since leader events, like Roundtable meetings, show up for parents and they might feel that it’s something they need to attend. Thanks for any update you can provide!

I spoke with Spencer about this the other day. We’re thinking about maybe some sort of refresh button on events that will resolve new membership, but no final decision on it. I’ll bring it up in our meeting tomorrow morning.

1 Like

Perhaps a single global “refresh” button that will go through all future events and refresh the members invited to those events. If I have to open each event to get to a refresh button, that’s just as much work as I’m doing now. (Once I view an event, it shows properly for new users. I do not need to edit the event.) I know it might seem like a lot of future events could be involved, and for some units that’s a possibility. But most units will likely only have around 100 future events if they plan a year out. In our area there are some popular Boy Scout camps that have 2-3 year waiting lists, similar to Philmont. Imagine the turnover that can take place within a troop in 2-3 years! Having a global refresh button would be helpful for those units as well.

Anything new to report on this? The new year is about to start and that’s when this issue is most painful.

Thanks.

We discussed this recently, but there is a certain direction the developers want to focus on right now and this will be fixed as a result, but there is no direct effort on it yet.

I’d really like to see this resolved too. Any update?

@KelsieC - Can you provide any update on when this should be resolved? I just had 3 new Cub Scouts join our pack last night, and I have to go into each event for the next few months and open it so that it will show for them. This is inconvenient, at best. Thanks!

Our developer is working on a fix to this issue right now, but he is still in the process of testing it for bugs and other problems - like what happened with all of the service hours. We hope to have it up soon, but we’d rather take a little extra time bug-smashing now than have a big issue on our hands after the fact. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience with us!

1 Like

FYI, This was fixed around 12 Feb 2018. I didn’t realize it at the time, but the third item on the bullet list,

We update who is invited to events more quickly

also resolved this issue. Any time you view an event, it “refreshes” who is invited to the event. Here are some more things that will refresh who is invited to the event:

• Creating/Updating an event
  • Viewing the event’s details page
  • Sending event invites/reminders
  • Sending the newsletter (All events in the newsletter will be “refreshed”.)

The last two are especially nifty because they happen automatically behind the scenes. So if you create your events in May, schedule them to send invitations 2 weeks ahead of time, and then enter a bunch of new members in August, they’ll all get the right invitations and newsletter content without you having to do a thing. :confetti_ball: They’ll then be able to RSVP directly from the invitation, and life will be peachy. :tada:

3 Likes

I added a new member to TT. But our Calendar events didn’t add the new person to our previously created events. I tried refreshing. So I’ve had to go into EACH event, to uncheck & recheck “everyone,” to get the system to grab the new name.