PENDING: Email Inbox & Subdomain Emails

What is the latest on this beta feature becoming the standard? This thread was started almost two years ago (March 2017), but I’m not able to find anything on the status since the above posts ended in May 2017. Is this still the direction TroopTrack communications is headed or has this been abandoned?

Thanks for any updates.

1 Like

Will this continue as BETA? We are totally confused as to how the email through TroopTrack should work. Can someone explain what’s going on?

1 Like

While I cannot answer the question as to if this will continue in BETA, that would be a question for @KelsieC.
I may be able to help with information on how the system currently works but that depends on your TT Settings.

If you are an Admin go to Manage - Settings - Edit Settings

Then select TroopTrack Settings.

Is “Subdomain e-mail enabled” set to Yes or No, if it is Yes then is “Use the new Inbox” set to Yes or No?

Subdomain is yes. New inbox is yes.

I won’t really be able to provide help as I have not enabled the New Inbox beta feature yet only the Subdomain e-mail. Sorry. As with the other post now that @KelsieC has been tagged I am sure she will respond. Unfortunately it seems the Community is not as active as it once was since no one that is using these two features has chimed in.

I finally enabled this feature and have done some initial testing. Here are my takeaways:

Ability to receive messages from outside, non registered e-mail addresses, this has been asked from many people in the past and I think the fact that this works got lost in the information about this feature. This may be the biggest plus for many. I initially tried this with a Mailbox that previously existed as a Custom mailing list and did got an error sending from an outside address. I created a new Mailbox and was able to receive a message from outside.

Sending a message from an outside source does not retain message formatting. This is no different than the previous groups, if you send a message from an outside e-mail client say Gmail, or Outlook all formatting from the message is lost.

Generating the message from within TT the formatting is correct just like other messages that are manually generated from Communicate > Send an Email.

I deleted my old "communication->mailbox “webmaster” email, and made sure that my old “custom mailinglist webmaster” was deleted and created a brand new mailbox (from within inbox (BETA)) the recipent is the leadership role “webmaster” (one of my leadership roles). I sent an email from the outside from an unregistered user, and I sent a email from within the the inbox area. I received both emails in the “inbox” mailbox named “webmaster” but have not received it at home yet.

the new “webmaster” mailbox is NOT listed on the “communicate->Send email” screen where it lists all the current mailing lists. so not sure how people are sending emails from there…

Neither emails are listed in the “recent messages” log

TEST 2
I made another mailbox named test and the recepient is me. I sent an email from an unregistered email and recieved it both in my test mailbox and at home.

Both test scenarios the message formatting is not retained.

It would be nice to delete messages.

I had the same thing happen with my cubmaster custom mailing list yesterday, now today I sent to my cubmaster mailbox and I did get the message, it must take some time to remove the previous custom mailing list.

@dave Any updates with this? It seems as though the new subdomain email features haven’t changed in quite some time and this thread has gone cold. I’ve given it the ol’ college try and have decided to turn both subdomain and inbox features off. I’m unable to send emails from an unregistered email address, which to me was the biggest highlight of the subdomain feature. Also, formatting issues are still there, where an email with paragraphs, line breaks, etc. come across as one long line of text sans formatting. The header is still the TroopTrack Header instead of the custom email header, which makes it confusing when troop members receive emails.

Hoping more fixes are planned, but for now we are switching back to the “old-school” email.

@toregan1I’m working on this feature this week. I’d like to get it out of beta soon.

I’ve confirmed the two problems you mentioned - sending emails from a non-member email address doesn’t work and the formatting gets lost when you send from an email client (as opposed to sending from within TroopTrack).

I’m digging into both of these issues.

Dave

I was able to fix the formatting of the inbound messages, with the exception of inline images. Those are coming through as broken links and the image is an attachment.

@toregan1 I used the inbox feature to add a new mailbox and then sent an email from a non-member email address to it and it worked. I initially got confused between the Communicate -> Mailboxes menu and the Communicate -> Inbox menu. If you don’t see the inbox, you will need to give yourself the “view inbox” privilege. An inbox will then accept emails from any email address.

Here’s a screenshot of my inbox. I noticed that the email address of the sender is not being displayed. I’m working on that.

@dave Thanks for clearing up the Mailboxes/Inbox confusion. That was exactly my issue. One quick ask…would it be possible to add an option to delete messages from the Inbox Mailboxes? It would help us determine which items are still open and require action vs. those that have been completed and can go away. This is a great feature! Thanks!

I’m new to the platform and was just looking to report the same problem. I’m able to apply the formatting I want when mailing from the UI but virtually all formatting is lost when sending from Outlook to a magic list. I don’t mind using the UI for official mails sent to our members but it could be a problem for mails sent by our members or prospective members.