Send a text to those "Coming" to a calendar event

Use Case: On a Weekend Campout, Sunday morning, as we are about to depart a camp 1 hour 15 minutes away from home, send a text to notify parents of our anticipated arrival time back home. Camp tear down is often a less than precisely timed activity, letting parents know when we are about to hit the road with expected arrival time would be nice. I can send an email to those RSVP’s “Coming”, no problem, but on a Sunday morning parents are more likely to respond to a text in a timely manner than checking their email. Thanks.

3 Likes

I had this same thought this past weekend when we were on the way home from a backpacking trip. A quick way to send updated times via text would be great!

Would it be possible to work this through the mobile app, gathering the mobile numbers of those attending, click a button, which pastes the numbers into the phone’s texting app as a group text? This would allow for offline texting as access to the TroopTrack website would require a decent internet connection - something we don’t normally have in the woods. Thanks.

2 Likes

Good morning @dougcutter and @MikeHulsey,

Thank you for using the TroopTrack Community!

These sound like great features and I appreciate you both commenting your ideas together like this.

So you want to be able to send a text out to all the parents of scouts who have elected to attend an event (namely a campout) to let them know when you have left the event and give an ETA to the meeting spot. It sounds like a really good idea and after we get some more support from the Community, our developers will consider it.

In the meantime, you can create a mailing list for the parents and just send a text message through the app that way. It does take a little more time because you have to select the parents of those who are attending and make sure their cell information is in the system, but it’s a workable solution until our developers can consider your idea.

The ability to do it from mobile may take a little more time, but it’s still worth considering.

Thank you guys and I look forward to hearing the remarks of the Community.

Create a new mailing list every event. That would take a crazy amount of time!

How does one do this via the mobile app? The only options I see under the communicate badge are email distributions, not SMS. Thanks.

I’m sorry, I should have been more specific. TroopTrack is consider a web application by many. This feature is not currently supported in the IOS App.