Public Calendar (ics URL) contains deleted events

When I delete/replace items on our calendar it’s not getting removed/updated in the calendar .ICS file. As a result our parents are seeing non-existent events or duplicate events on their smartphones. Likewise our public calendar on our website has the same bad information.

Below is an example pulled from our website. As you can see we had a placeholder for the Klondike Derby on Jan 23rd. This entry was updated and now it shows up twice on the calendar and in the .ics file (I checked). Thanks to COVID the derby was rescheduled to Feb 13. In Trooptrack we see no events on Jan 23rd, only Feb 13th. But the .ics file is showing three events.

Hi @Rbishop,

Are you using google calendar by chance?

If not which calendar are you using?

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

Yes, on our website. However I’m seeing the same thing when I link the ICS URL on my iphone, my android, and in Outlook. I downloaded and looked at the ICS file with a text editor and it contains the deleted events.

Hi @Rbishop,

So those deleted events are not showing up on people’s calendars? Am I correct in understanding the issue?

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

Correct. They don’t show up on the Trooptrack calendar, but the do show up on any device that links to the calendar through the ICS file (https://parkesburg-t135.trooptrack.com/troops/pxsFizhG_GFYZSgVzLYbXg/calendar).

From Trooptrack:

Hi @Rbishop,

I was able to re-create this problem with my IOS calendar, so I’m getting this issue over to the tech team.

I’ll update this thread once they get it fixed.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

@Keener-Trooptrack,
Please make sure the team is careful when looking to fix this problem, it is not a universal issue. I have never seen this happen in my many years of using TT and subscribing to the Calendar via iOS or MacOS Calendar subscription. Perhaps it is specific to Google Calendar Subscriptions.

@Rbishop,
I noticed in your screen shot of the TT calendar it shows Family Events are selected, select All Events and see if those events are actually on the calendar? While in TT you can filter events based on All, Family, My, or Going the ICS subscription has all events that are on the TT calendar.

1 Like

Hi @Rbishop,

The reason that event still shows up on the ics url is because it is on the calendar. The calendar link is a link for all events on the calendar, so if you filter to “all events” you’ll see the Klondike event is on the calendar for the 24th and the 23rd.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

Thanks, that was indeed the issue. I forgot about this filter at the top of trooptrack as I rarely need to use it. I’d like to keep it set to “all events” but it seems to always go back to “family events”. I think what happened was the original “placeholder” event(s) was created without assigning any invitees.

You can change the setting site wide in Settings, Webmaster Tools, Calendar Settings Default Calendar View for All Users. But it does change it for everyone.