Role Based Privileges Feedback

I have been in contact with Dave and he is looking to implement some roles for privileges that can be applied to users. The first version of this would be to have some default roles available but still allow for editing Privileges for individual users. He would like feedback on what you would like to see as the default settings per role, current roles being considered are:

• Youth with photo uploading privileges
  • Youth without photo uploading privileges
  • Parent
  • Admin
  • Treasurer
    Are there any other defaults you would like to see and what privileges should each role have?
1 Like

Thank you for opening up for additional defaults for consideration.

I’d love to see:

• Youth with Unit wide-visibility (read only)
  • Parent with Unit wide-visibility (read only)

We are pretty open as a Unit, and youth led, so I’d love to have our Patrols and roster pages populated for all.

Best,
Itay.

This visibility is available today just not a Global way to set Unit level access for all users at once. What Privilege set would you want those two groups to have in addition to Unit level access?

Since I am also a user here is what I would like to see:

Youth with photo uploading privileges - Self
Manage own outside participation
View and print troop roster
Upload photos

Youth without photo uploading privileges - Self

Parent - Household
Upload photos
Manage community service

Admin - Unit
All Privileges

Leader - Patrol/Den
Edit achievement records
Manage events
Upload photos

Treasurer - Unit
Manage troop members
Manage money accounts
Manage fundraisers
Upload photos

Advancements - Unit
Manage troop members
Edit achievement records
Manage training
Use scoutbook/ia2.0 features
Manage awards
Upload photos

1 Like

Here is the basic permissions list I came up with. Its pretty close to Aaron’s

1. Full Admin - Scoutmaster, Committee Chair, and Designees agreed on by SM and CC.

2. Finance Admin - Events, announcements and all money collecting activities

3. Advancement Admin - Events, announcements and all advancement activites

4. Troop ASM -Events Announcemets, Advancemenet, Intranet site Maintenance

5. Adult & Scout Webmastter - Events, Announuncements, Intranet site Maintenance

6. Adult Lead - Events

7. Normal Scout - View only access to most items

8. Normal Parent - View only access to most items, ability to add funds (once we are ready) to scout accounts.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought about Webmaster that is also a necessary role for many units.

@tkramer, Is your ask more about what positions automatically have the given role?

This was an internal list of permissions I am going to use for my troop. Each of the 8 things will have a respective screenshot of what boxes should be checked in the current permissions structure. I am not sure what the underlying DB structure Dave has to deal with but everyone has a different idea of what “perfect” looks like permissions wise. I fully expect that each account will have an explicitly defined role that is setup upon creation.

I am hoping TT will give us something like 8 “roles” that we can customize, with defaults, and we can add or remove different defaults depending on our unit.

The first iteration will be set and not customizable, that is why he is asking for feedback to get a sense of where to start.

I love that this is being considered, and the roles previously mentioned by others line up pretty well with what our needs would be.

I like the idea of the roles with predefined privileges. TT is becoming a staple in our 2 troops and would love to see some other improvements, mainly a way to fill out medical forms and submit to a designated position for review. I love TT’s medical form DB and would love to see this possible.
Also a way to sign a permission slip during the RSVP process would be amazing as well as adding the signed slips to the event. These are the 2 most time consuming functions adult leaders have to wrangle with and to me would be a great way to market TT to prospective new troops

I’d like to allow the viewing of MBCs. I can’t find a way to do that, currently. I don’t know if that is a structural issue or simply a permission.

I do love the set up you have @AaronStorey has for his permissions. However, I would definitely still like the customization ability. For instance, we had a leader this year that we had to change permissions for. They still needed more permissions than most, but there were specific ones we needed to remove. Having the ability to assign a group of people a specific set of privileges and then adding/removing one or two as needed, is pretty important for our troop. We also have other positions that we assign different privileges to such as Service and our Shepherdess so a one size all permissions list would cause us trouble. The ability to put Newsletter settings to specific people instead of all Admins is also one of my dreams. :smirk:

My vision (and keep in mind I only married a programmer, I know nothing of how to make these things happen or if they are realistic and he often tells me I’m crazy… :joy::crazy_face:) would be something like this, only MUCH nicer looking, b/c again, this is NOT may area of expertise or even great knowledge. But quick checkboxes where you can add/remove privileges for groups. Then going back and adding individual ones as needed. If clicking those standard privilege boxes highlighted what each set of permissions were being given in that Privileges column.