TroopTrack User Community (04/26/2016)

Later this week we are going to officially launch http://community.trooptrack.com, our new forum for TroopTrack users. It is already available for you to check out and is integrated with TroopTrack so you can access it with your TroopTrack account.

Once it is launched officially, Community will replace several TroopTrack features including:

- User Guide

- Product Updates

- portions of the Help Desk

Community will become the official mechanism for suggesting new features and reporting bugs - we will no longer use the help desk for that. Help desk tickets will be reserved for specific problems that require sharing personally identifiable information or are otherwise not solvable via Community.

Additionally, the way you submit help desk tickets will change. Prior to submitting a help desk ticket you will be prompted to search Community for help with your problem.

We hope these changes will help you get answers more quickly and allow us to focus our customer service efforts where they are needed most.

Please share this announcement with your leaders so they will not be surprised when we launch these changes in the next week or so.

Best wishes,

~ Dave

1 Like
  1. It would be nice to have the OLD users guide as a PDF somewhere or something. The content is not quite all there in the new forums yet, so it would still be good to have this available as quick reference for a little while longer.

2. The new community seems functional enough I guess, but I sorta find it not to be very friendly. I would honestly just prefer something more in a phpBB style forums myself instead of something that feels more like a big FAQ. The new forum seems hard to see what is new, what discussions are active, etc… Maybe it is just because I am old school, but I find a plain old support forum with sections for topics and individual postings/threads more functional and productive.

1 Like

Hi @DonHoover,
Although the forums aren’t very old, they actually already have a lot more in them than the old user guide. We copied everything in the old user guide over before we launched it and users have already added a lot of new content. Exporting the entire site as a PDF isn’t something we are going to be able to do unfortunately.

This style of forum does take a bit of adjusting to, but hopefully over time you will get more accustomed to it. There are two really important features that I’ll point out to you that may help.

1. When you start to create a topic, the forums will automatically search for and suggest similar topics. This is already helping lots of people find answers to their questions much more quickly than before when they had to wait for one of our staff to respond.

2. Check out the header at the top of the page. It does a lot of the things you mention - there is a button to see all new topics, a button for topics with recent activity, and a “categories” button that lets you see topics in groups. Here’s a screenshot of that.

Hopefully the forum will grow on you. We are very pleased with it so far and it’s very unlikely we will switch to another solution at this time.

Best wishes,

~ Dave