Unnerving to give "Manage troop members" to everyone so they can update their own MBC

In order for troop members to add MBC information (which Merit Badges they counsel for), they must have “Manage troop members: Add, edit, or delete troop members” – which worries me a bit.

In most cases, these folks will have “Household” level permissions, and so can only change their records.

However, many of them have Unit level permissions for other reasons … so this needlessly gives them access to change any member.

Seems like an oversight and too restrictive… why does updating the MBC values require “Manage Troop Members” permission?

If their Leadership contains “Merit Badge Counselor”, then they should be able to enter whatever MBC they wish to counsel in their own profile. They shouldn’t need “Manage troop members: Add, edit, or delete troop members” just to make those changes for themselves.

If that was the case, then I only have to give the single merit badge coordinator “Manage Troop Members”/Unit permisions, s/he then adds the “Merit Badge Counselor” Leadership, and the member manages their own MBC.

3 Likes

I guess we’ve never really considered that leaders might want to let MBCs update their own record. Since they have to be registered with BSA for each MB they counsel, I just assumed a leader would want to maintain that information rather than let the MBCs manage it themselves.

I’m going to move this over to the ideas category and see what other users have to say.

~ Dave

I must be a bit of a control freak. I’d much rather have parents talk to me about the merit badges they are willing/able to counsel. I want to have a comfort level that my scouts will be coached appropriately before I add a new MBC.

2 Likes

Yes, I can see that it would be best to route these updates thru someone like the troop’s merit badge coordinator. However, the same problem occurs… that person must have unit level “Manage troop members: Add, edit, or delete troop members” … which might be more privs than I really want that person to have.

It just would be great to have someone be able to manage this but not be able to muck with other troop membership entries.

BTW – is this MBC list supposed to be updated when we use TurboNET somehow? We’re not seeing updates to the Leadership role “Merit Badge Counselor” nor MBC listings.

1 Like

I have this same problem. I had to give our Merit Badge Coordinator permissions to manage troop members at the unit level and I really don’t like that. I want her to be able to add mere badge counselors but she shouldn’t have the ability to see and change everyones personal information as well

2 Likes

Yes, I’d like to also request that we create a separate privilege for managing MBC.

1 Like

I’ll chime in and say “Yes, I’d also like a separate privilege for managing MBC.” Please. Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, new privilege for Add/modify MBC.

It has been 7 months since this enhancement request has gone in. I wanted to revisit the plan here. Manage MBC should be an individual privilege and not require “manage all troop members”. I really did not like opening up the entire troop accounts to the one parent I have who sets up and manages MBC. This gives them way too much access.

1 Like

Sure, and I’m the same way. But I think it makes sense to offer the option. Choice is good.

We just added a MBC Coordinator on our committee. I found this thread while trying to figure out how to give him the access he needs to update lists, etc. Hopefully this will bump this up again. It is a good idea.

To be honest I don’t see this as being a priority. It seems to me that if someone is in a Troop leadership role giving them access to Manage Members should not be an issue. At that point it becomes about training, letting them know what specific thing they should be doing and what they should not be doing and then trusting that they will perform their duties accordingly. Things do happen here and there but they are so rare that it is not worth the time to make rules for every situation and clutter up the interface.