Controlling Access and Privileges

Considered starting a new topic, but came here first to see if there was an answer to what each privilege does. Like others, I periodically my account and my kids account open on side to side laptops trying to figure things out… but cannot for the life of me see what triggers “Recent Messages” as an option under communications.

I recently answered a similar question for another user, so in lieu of typing out the whole thing again or pasting it here, I will just post a link to my other comment: Manage privelages.

The “recent messages” option is only available to those with the “manage troop members” privilege. I agree that that one isn’t very intuitive/clear. It’s not a setting that is meant to be accessible for most individuals, since you can see all recent messages. I’m not even sure if it stops you from seeing messages sent from others even when you only have a lower access level (for example, one parent could see sensitive recent messages sent between leaders or to another parent). So I think that’s the rationale behind attaching it to that privilege, since that is one that only leaders usually have. If you have more questions, shoot me an email at support@trooptrack.com. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For those interested in seeing what interface items change when setting different permissions you can also use a Private Window within your browser or a separate browser so you can have one logged in as one account and another logged in to a different account and see what the changes do. For a small company this would be a major undertaking to map out and document exactly what interface changes are made by changing different permissions and access levels. Perhaps someone here on the Community would like to volunteer to go through and map it all out and take screen shots of the changes?

1 Like

I would like to allow my troop MB coordinator to managem the counselor roster and the badges they can work, but I see no way to give that permission. Please help.

Hi @PaulSwicord,

To be able to add and edit MB counselors that member will need to have the Manage Troop Members Privilege enabled on their profile. The Manage Troop Members Privilege allows anyone with to add members, delete members, edit members details/info and any info that is associated with member profiles.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Tyler
TroopTrack

Tyler,

Thanks. We have a MB coordinator who is a registered Scouter, but not in a leader position. We’ve restricted the Manage Troop Member permission to a select few to maintain data integrity. So I’ll ask her to forward the updates to one of the leaders with that priviledges.

Thanks for the response.

Paul

1 Like

I have a question about parent privileges. I’m the current treasurer, and I seem to remember parents being able to transfer money around within their household accounts, maybe a year ago. But a few people have told me recently that they can’t transfer money to their children anymore, and so I do all of that for them. Do we just have a setting checked off, or was something changed so that parents can’t transfer money around anymore?

Hi @JanineGillot,

I’ve only been with TroopTrack since around July of last year, and as far as I know parents can’t transfer money from their account to their child’s account. I don’t know when this change was made.

Parents can pay for things for their children and RSVP for events as well, which eliminates the need for a parent to transfer money to their child’s scout account since the parent can just pay and have it charged on their account.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

With the addition of the RSVP payments it really is easier to go to a single Household Money Account owned by one of the parents. All members of the household are able to see the account even if they are not the owner. If a Scout does an RSVP themselves they can still pay out of the Parent Money Account. The idea of individual Money accounts seems less necessary and more cumbersome now.

1 Like

Hi…I wasn’t exactly sure where to ask this so I thought this might be the best fit. Does TT have an audit history anywhere for activities other than checking off requirements? For example, if someone has Unit access and goes in to change privileges or any kind of member registration information for other members?

Unfortunately no there is no logging of this type in TT.

Thank you for the response…I was thinking that was the case but just wanted to verify.

On a slightly different note…is anyone that has Unit level access able to manage or change privileges or is that a separate function?

There is a specific Privilege that allows a user to edit others Privileges. If a user has that enabled then they can manage for any users they have access to. If they have full Unit (Top Level) access then they can edit for anyone, if they only have Self access level then they would only be able to edit their own, or any level in between. The Privileges and the Access level are separate and allow for some granularity in limiting a users access to certain groups of users and then what they can do for that group of users.

Can anyone tell me the Privilege that includes use of the Newsletter function in TroopTrack? Thanks!!

Yes, Newsletter editing is tied to the Manage troop settings privilege.

Is there a way to globally change user’s access level? Similar to privileges?

Do you mean you want to change several people at once to the same access level? If so, we don’t currently have that.

Yes. Can we add that to the ideas for enhancements? Thanks.

Sure. I’m planning an upgrade to privileges this weekend. Maybe I can figure something out there too.

1 Like

Is there a way to set my own default set of privileges for all parents or everyone in an access level? Or apply them to a group? I can see how I can set privileges to an individual. But I am looking to set the privileges for everyone in the Household level so that all parents (existing or new) get the same set of privileges. And then the only privileges that I need to assign individually are for the leaders.

I read above here that you can edit the privileges AFTER creating the user, which I guess means that I need to assign them every time I create a user. I am hoping that I am missing a way to do this in a more global fashion