Magic Mailing Lists

What Are They?

Magic mailing lists are mailing lists created automatically by TroopTrack for you that figure out the recipients of the list based on their position in the troop. TroopTrack comes with the following magic mailing lists:

Name Recipients
parents-troopXYZ@trooptrack.com Every adult who is a member of a household with scouts
scouts-troopXYZ@trooptrack.com Every scout in your unit
leaders-troopXYZ@trooptrack.com Every member of your unit with a leadership position
members-troopXYZ@trooptrack.com Every member of your unit
adults-troopXYZ@trooptrack.com Every adult member of your unit
patrolABC-troopXYZ@trooptrack.com Every member of the patrol

Note: You can rename these mailing lists to whatever you want, so please refer to your communicate badge for an exact list.

How To Get There

Just click on the Communicate badge.

Managing Senders

Even though recipients are managed automatically, senders are managed just like custom email distribution lists, so you will need to specify who is allowed to send to each list.

1 Like

Is there a way to re-generate the list? Ours came across as very generic with leaders@trooptrack.com, scouts@trooptrack.com, scout-leaders@trooptrack.com

I’ve been trying to go through and follow the naming convention to convert them to such as leaders-<unique_troopID>@trooptrack.com

Thanks

I’m not following the convention you are converting them to. Do you mean leaders-<troop #>@trooptrack.com?

the brackets got lost, was trying for substitution < >

eg leaders-uniq_troopX@trooptrack.com, adults-uniq_troopX@trooptrack.com, scoutleaders-uniq_troopX@trooptrack.com, etc.

Because our site wasn’t fully organized before I joined, I’m not sure how the lists were generated. What I did find were very generic scouts@trooptrack.com, leaders@trooptrack.com, adults@trooptrack.com, etc. Which I am assuming you would not want such generic list names.

I was following the documentation from
https://trooptrack.com/help_pages?page=39

Which I think your table is missing in your original post above

For me it did not work until I renamed them one time.

Is there a way to generate a magic mailing list based on RSVPs for an event? Say a camping trip that families sign up for… I’d like to be able to blast just those people as we get closer to the event.

1 Like

Yes - you can send emails to event participants directly from the event. Go to the event details in your calendar, then click “Email Invitees” in the third menu bar. You will be able to send the message to attendees based on their RSVP status.

Is there a way to include the parents of scouts that have RSVP’d when sending an email from the event page? Right now it’s only going to the scouts.

There is a troop setting to copy parents on all emails. This will accomplish what you need, but it will do it for all emails sent from TroopTrack to youth.

You can access this setting by clicking the gear icon, Edit Troop Settings, TroopTrack Settings, look for the Basic Email Settings.

Dave

1 Like