New Event Creates New Money Account by Default

Functionality was recently added when you create a new event by default it creates a new money account. That is not something that we want. We do not create money accounts for events. We use money accounts for individuals and one catch all money account for PayPal credits/payments.

Can you update the settings to allow units to configure what to do with the money account for new events by default? We certainly do not want new money accounts created by default and it would be great to select the same existing money account by default.

Now if we forget to to change the money account setting on the creation of a new event, we then have to go and delete the new money account that was created.

1 Like

If you set a default Money account for Events, other than the General Fund in Settings, Online Payments, then you will not get new accounts created for each event. You can create a generic Events account. You don’t really have to do anything with it specifically. It just gets used to move the transactions in and out of General and Individual accounts especially when using the Shopping Cart.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was not finding the settings for Online Payments. Turns out there actually was a default account already saved. But I went and updated/refreshed the settings and now we are not seeing that default event account option.

Issue solved. Thanks.

We don’t have online payment turned on, so there doesn’t seem to be a way to change the default money account for events. I still don’t want an account created by default for each new event. How do I set things so accounts are not created?
Laura Ford, Treasurer, TLUSA OK-0103

Hi @LauraFord,

Our tech team has been previously made aware of that issue, and is working on a fix for it.

We will let you know when it gets fixed.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

1 Like

We also have been dealing with this and had to turn on the payments portion to select an default account. Myself being the Scoutmaster, communications and scheduler find this very frustrating especially when I set up recurring meetings and it creates an account for each meeting.

@CraigPatterson1,
Were you able to turn the payments portion back off after setting a default “Events” account and does it still create new accounts per event after turning payments back off?

No it worked for a couple of updates on previous events but scheduling new events creates an account every time then i have to go delete it.

@CraigPatterson1,
At least the TT staff is aware and will get it fixed.

Have you thought about using the Money Accounts to help track Scout Fees? We use it just as a tracking account with no actual online payment transactions and it works well for people to see what they owe for events or registration or whatever. It allows us as Troop admins to see what a family owes. There isn’t really a good tutorial for how to use the Money Accounts and we had to kinda stumble through it a bit. We started just setting up “Family” accounts owned by Mom, or Dad, or whatever Adult is most active, because the Scouts are in the same Household we didn’t need an account for each person, we found doing it by families was much easier.

We have it set up as Individual accounts to track money and fees but do not allow online payments from TT.

Thanks,

Craig Patterson

I just happened to be doing some work in TT just now, adjusting our next three weekly meetings to be Virtual and noticed that a Money Account was created for each of the meetings I edited. I also created a new Event and it did default to the Generic Events money account we have saved. I think the issue is events that were created prior to whatever updates were made. I looked at a future meeting and it shows Create a New Money Account. We created our Recurring weekly meeting the beginning of the year before the updates to Money Accounts and Default accounts. I created a new Recurring meeting and it did have the Generic Events money account associated with it.

For a work around now just try to remember when you are going into an old event to edit select the Advanced tab and change the Money Account to whatever your Generic Default is.

There could also be differences in how things work based on your settings, we are not currently using the Dynamic Meeting Invitations, not sure if that makes a difference.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Our tech team has fixed the issue of money accounts being created for each event when the setting of using money accounts is turned off.

New money accounts now will only be created when specified.

Thanks,

David Keener
TroopTrack

1 Like