TroopMaster Imports

Important Note

You can import most of your data directly from BSA in seconds! This will make importing the rest of your data much easier. The first step is importing your BSA data using TurboNet. You can read how to use TurboNet here. It is very important to import from TurboNet before importing from TroopMaster. You will be able to start using TroopTrack right away while you wait for us to import the rest of your data.

Heads up!

TroopMaster is currently struggling with the new 2016 BSA rank requirements, so it is not possible to import Ranks or Merit Badges from TroopMaster. Hopefully they resolve the problem soon so that normal importing may resume.

We will gladly load your data from TroopMaster for you. All you have to do is export it as a text file and attach it to a help desk ticket. Here are specific directions for generating the files we need:

TroopMaster Instructions

In TroopMaster, from the menu, select File ~ Export ~ ASCII Delimited.  A new window should pop up.

In the new window, confirm these options:
  1. Make sure "Include field names as first line of export" is checked
  2. Make sure "Format" has "Comma delimitted" set
  3. Make sure "Date Format" is "MM/DD/YYYY"
  4. In "Select Area", select "Scout Rank Dates"
  5. Between the "Available Fields" and "Fields To Export", click the "Add All" button.

Click the export button, and save the exported file somewhere.

Repeat this process for Scout Merit Badges.

Open a help desk ticket and attach your files. We can usually import them within a few days.

I am using TroopMaster 2016 and trying to export my data to import into TroopTrack. I do not show a separate export for Scour Rank Dates or Merit Badges. I have completed the ScoutNet import and it pulled over the dates for completed ranks and completed merit badges but not any of the partial information.

Can you please help me get these exported as my troopmaster expiration is next month?

Sincerely,
SM687

I have exactly the same problem. I was hoping to pull in scout data to get all of the unassigned imported scouts from ScoutNet into their respective patrols and households.

I think TroopMaster changed their software to prevent those exports. We’ve been hearing a lot of complaints about it. We have no idea why they did that and are sadly unable to do anything about it.

Is there still a problem importing from BSA because of the new 2016 format?

Hi, we too are trying to migrate from TroopMaster to TroopTrack. But I just read about the issues everyone seem to be having in migration. Any ETA on when will this be resolved?

Since we are not on TroopTrack yet, we can easily unsubscribe. No point in paying if we will not be able to use it for who knows when. Appreciate if someone can post a time line as to when TroopTrack will be ready for seamless trouble-free import from TroopMaster. Our parent volunteers give a lot of their personal time to manage these things. The last thing we want to do is to troubleshoot this application. Help us out, please.

Are you asking about whether TroopMaster has fixed the issue exporting ranks and merit badges or something else?

Dave

Hi Sanil,
The issues people are discussing around here are on the TroopMaster side, not the TroopTrack side. TroopMaster stopped allowing you to export rank and merit badges. We can’t do anything about that since it’s not our software.

Best wishes,

Dave

Yes, so that import/export to BSA works with the new requirements

Apologies for late response. It seems that there are two issues: one on TroopMaster side - which, of course, you cannot do much about. We will try to work with TroopMaster and see what options exist.

But it seems the other issue is on the TroopTrack side - that is updating of 2016 BSA requirements. Has the second issue, that you control, been fixed? Appreciate a confirmation. If the issue has not been fixed, is there an ETA on when will this be fixed so we can plan on our migration timeline.
Appreciate your time on this.

What data can you import from troopmaster?
For us, our adults file is probably the bigges pain to re enter. Turbonet brings in the scouts, but each scout has one or two parents who are not registered on turbonet.

Have there been any updates to this thread? Any recent experience from anyone transferring data from Troop Master to Troop Track? I’m getting ready to take this step and want to see if there are any updated steps.
Thanks

Hi @smithmarkc, we’re receiving fewer requests for TroopMaster imports nowadays than in the past, and some people have only been able to send us .bak files, which we are unable to work with. If you can send us a plaintext file (like .csv or .txt.) we’ll see what we can do. We still have our TroopMaster importers, but if the exported files have changed it will take some time to import them.

Recently we’ve been focusing more on making Generic Importers that anybody can use. They require some reformatting work on your end so that the headers and columns of the .csv spreadsheets align with what the system expects, but you can import a good deal of your data with them. Plus, since there’s just one type of user/activity/training importer for everyone, it’s a lot easier for us to test.

In “Select Area”, select “Scout Rank Dates”
I don’t see this in my TroopMaster it has “Scout data”. Note my Troop uses the 2016 version as they still use dotnet (per note Troopmaster - The Flagship of Scouting Software NOTE: If your unit is using DotNet or TMWeb 1.0, you should download the TM2016).

Will area “scout data” work?